Once you start making your own salad dressings it's hard going back to buying them off the shelves. There's something about adding fresh ingredients to evoo that makes me feel good. Not to mention, it's good for you, hunni.
This Citronette dressing is my favorite. You can add it to salads, drizzle over baked fish and more. Get creative with it and make it your own! The quick and easy recipe is below.
1 shallot, finely diced
1 fresh garlic clove finely diced
1 citrus fruit (lime, lemon or orange)
1-2 Tbs of raw sugar or honey
1/3 to 1 c. extra-virgin olive oil (use a 3:1 ratio of olive oil to citrus juice)
Red pepper flakes (turn up the heat as high as you like)
Salt and pepper to taste
- Place the diced shallots + garlic in a bowl.
- Roll the fruit along the table or in between your hands to loosen up the fruit inside. Cut it in half and squeeze the juice into the bowl with the shallots and garlic, removing any seeds that fall in. Let the mixture soak for 10 minutes. (This will take the edge off the shallots.)
- After 10 minutes, add in the sugar or honey and olive oil — use three times the amount of citrus.
- Add red pepper flakes and a pinch of salt and pepper to taste.
- Whisk together and serve over salad. (Store leftovers in a container tightly closed in the fridge for up to two weeks.)
You're gonna be hooked, I tell ya!