If you follow me on Snapchat, (@DellaLaShaun in case you were wondering) then you already know that I have a love thaang with Mexican food. It's partly one of the reasons I relocated to the west coast. When I'm really busy and on the verge of forgetting to eat, this is my quick and easy go to meal.
You may also know that if I'm not at a local farmer's market, I get my shopping on at Trader Joe's. These are my favorite tortillas. I can never go back to using any other brand. Trust me, when you taste them, you'll feel the same.
And if I don't prepare my refried beans myself, I use these and at times Trader Joe's black bean refried beans.
Alright, enough of the small talk, let's get to the recipe.
- 1 Can refried beans
- 2 Tortillas
- 1 Roma tomato
- 3 oz Fresh baby spinach (stems removed)
- 3 oz Shredded mozzarella and cheddar cheese
- 1/3 inch of butter (approx a slice)
- 1 Lime
- 2 Teaspoons of cumin
- 1 oz of cilantro
- Kosher salt
- Remove refried beans from can and place in a dish. Heat in microwave for 30-45 seconds. Set aside.
- Dice tomato into small pieces.
- Give the spinach and cilantro a rough chop.
- Add a layer of refried beans over one of the tortillas.
- Sprinkle with salt and cumin.
- Add cheese, spinach, cilantro and tomato.
- Squeeze lime juice over top
- Place pan (or in my case, cast iron skillet-it gives an amazing crisp) over medium heat and add butter until melted.
- Place the loaded tortilla in pan and top with other tortilla.
- Allow to cook until golden brown, flip and do the same to the other side.
- Remove quesadilla and slice into triangles.
- Serve with a side of avocado and your favorite salsa. If you're up to it, go big and try my guacamole recipe.
- Serve it up sexxi and dig in, baby!